Battambang is Cambodia’s second largest city and, according to most of the travelers I consulted, pretty darn dull. 2 or 3 days is plenty, they said. Anything else and you’d be bored out of your tree, they (well, one person) said. I stayed for 6 nights, and, even then, was sad to leave. Why? Well, partly because of this one little vegetarian place with $1 noodle soup, but mostly because of….
Here Be Dragons! a recently opened British owned hostel/bar — one of the few hostels in Battambang, and one of the raddest places I’ve stayed in Asia so far.
Why so rad? Well, first off, the dorms cost $2. That’s pretty much enough to convince me, but if you need a little more persuasion…
- Fantastic, friendly staff
- One free beer on arrival
- A gorgeous, shaded outdoor area with hammocks and dangerously comfortable chairs and couches
- A deservedly popular Pub quiz night every Tuesday
- $2 dorms (did I already mention that?)
- 75c draught beer during happy hour (a whopping $1 during not-so-happy hours)
- Great food — try the huge, deliciously greasy, veggie breakfast (to counteract the effects of the previous bullet point)
Get in quick! Here Be Dragons isn’t even in the guidebooks (yet) and still fills up quickly.
Price: $2/dorm $10/double room
Location: On the east bank of the river, near Wat Sangker, next to You Can School (about 15 mins walk from the markets, shops, etc.)