Months of reading the Rough Guide, perusing dozens of blogs, and talking to fellow travelers has led to the following list 10 places I’m most excited to see.
I am, of course, hoping to have a drastically different list when all is said and done. Some places will disappoint. Others may exceed already lofty expectations. There will be places on it that I haven’t even heard of yet. I definitely agree with the mentality that the surest way to ruin a trip is to have too high expectations, but I also think planning for a trip is amongst the most exciting things we can do.
So, for now, this is what I am most looking forward to on our trip to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Malaysia.
1. Chaing Mai and surroundings. (Thailand) Chaing Mai and its neighbors sound chilled out, beautiful, and full of good food. The neighboring hillside hikes, elephant camps and the even more chilled out village of Pai sound incredible too.
2. Ha Long Bay. (Vietnam) You see a lot of pictures of this place, and each one is more impressive than the last.
3. Angor Wat (Cambodia) If it’s good enough for Lara Croft, it’s good enough for me.
4. Vang Vieng (Laos) It had me at intertubing along the river with periodic riverside bars.
5. Cameron Highlands (Malaysia) These sound pretty damn fantastic. Hopefully I will meet some Malaysian friends in KL first as well.
6. Kho Sok (Thailand) Tropical jungle? Yes please!
7. Don Det (Laos) 4,000 Islands is just enough for me.
8. Kanchanaburi: (Thailand) Much to do here, including the River Kwai, waterfall hikes, and a bar with an emu!
9 Trang Islands (Thailand) Reputedly gorgeous and relatively isolated. I would love to do some camping here.
10. Mekong Delta (Vietnam) See some floating markets, eat some rice, float down the river. Sign me up.